The Gallery is located in the heart of Thirsk and has three guest rooms. Our home is two hundred years old and whilst we aim to meet the needs of all our guests there are some features which might make access difficult for people with limited mobility. There are steps into the house and between rooms and bathrooms. Ceilings are fairly low and doors and doorways are low and narrow. The house is of typical 19th century proportions and not suitable for wheelchair users.
- We are located in the centre of Thirsk, 100 m from the Market Square. We are therefore within easy walking distance of all amenities: shops, cafes, pubs, restaurants, museums, swimming pool, cinema, churches.
- The main bus stop, for local and national services, is 100 m away.
- The train station is almost 1 mile away. Sometimes there are taxis and buses waiting at the station but we can book a taxi for you in advance if required.
- There are several local taxi companies: we can make bookings in advance for you.
- Menus can be provided in large print if required. We regret we do not have the facilities to prepare documents in braille.
- Our website provides pictures of our accommodation and further information about the services we provide.
- You can contact us by telephone or email. Please see the “Contact Information” section of this document for full details.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- Please advise us of your anticipated arrival time so that we can be sure we are here to welcome you.
- We normally ask guests to arrive between 4.30 and 7.00pm. Earlier or later arrival may be possible by arrangement.
- Please note we don’t have on-site parking. Parking is available in marked bays on Kirkgate (towards the church). Free parking is restricted here to 2 hours, between 8am – 6pm, Mon – Sat, with a disc placed in your car (available from The Gallery or most shops). Alternatively parking is available in the free public car park close to The Gallery (100 m away), which is well lit and well sign posted. Four disabled parking bays are available in the car park, closest to The Gallery. There is a level walk, 75 m, along a footpath by The Cross Keys pub and into Kirkgate. A map showing parking facilities is on our website and one is enclosed with all booking confirmations.
- You may pull up outside The Gallery to unload for a short while.
- We offer assistance with luggage.
Main Entrance & Reception
- The front door has one step of 8 cm down into the breakfast room.
- The front door is always locked but we have doorbell on the wall to the left of the door. The doorbell is at a height of 1.4 m.
- The front door opens into the breakfast room, which opens into the hallway/reception area. The reception area is 1.8 by 1.8 m.
- The floors are carpeted.
- There is a downstairs toilet off the reception area that can be made available to guests during the day.
- There are 10 stairs, incorporating 2 small landings, up to the first floor, where all the bedrooms are located. Each stair is 20 cm high, 85 cm wide and of varying depth. There is a handrail on one side of the stairs. The stairs and landing are carpeted.
- Breakfast is served in the breakfast room on the ground floor.
- Furniture is flexible and can be moved on request.
- Tables are 76cm. high with legs on each corner.
- We cater for allergies and special dietary requirements. Please inform us in advance of these.
- We play background music during breakfast. Please let us know if you wish this to be switched off.
- We have a washing machine and tumble drier and can do laundry for you on request.
- We have an iron and ironing board available on request.
- There are 3 bedrooms on the first floor, carpeted throughout.
- There are en-suite facilities in all rooms consisting of a shower, wc and wash basin.
- Tea and coffee making facilities are provided.
- We also provide a hair dryer, torch & hot water bottle.
- Our beds are made with synthetic duvets and synthetic pillows. Spare pillows and blankets are available in the room.
- There are 2 chairs in each room.
- There is a wall mounted television and a bed side radio/alarm clock in each room.
- There is a folder in each room which contains information about The Gallery, eating in Thirsk and emergency contacts.
- Bedroom 1 is the first bedroom on the left at the top of the stairs.
- There is a step of 10cm up into the room.
- The room has a 4ft 6in double bed with access from both sides.
- There is a step of 7cm up into the en-suite bathroom.
- Bedroom 2 is the second bedroom on the left at the top of the stairs.
- There is a step of 10cm up into the room.
- There is a 4ft 6in bed with access from both sides.
- There is a step of 6cm up into the en-suite bathroom.
- Bedroom 3 is along the corridor and round the corner on the right.
- The en-suite bathroom is through the first door and on the right.
- The bedroom is through the second door and down 2 steps, each 22cm deep.
- There are 2 3ft single beds in this room, with access from all sides.
Grounds and Gardens
There is no garden available to guests.
- There is a fire extinguisher in the entrance hall and another at the top of the stairs. There is also a fire extinguisher and fire blanket in our kitchen.
- In the event of a fire the smoke alarms will ring continuously. Please notify us on arrival if you have a hearing impairment and might not hear this.
- The building can be evacuated via the front door, through the breakfast room, or in an emergency via the back door, through the white door in the hall, turn right and through our kitchen.
- We are a no smoking/no vaping building.
- Mobile phone reception is good.
- We are happy to cater for special diets or any particular likes and dislikes. Please advise us of these on arrival.
- There is a small fridge in the breakfast room, which can be used for medication or food, by guests.
Address: The Gallery B&B, 18 Kirkgate, Thirsk, North Yorkshire YO7 1PQ
Telephone: +44 (0) 1845 523767
Hours of operation: We are open all year but do take occasional holidays. The B&B is our home so occupied 24 hours.
Emergency number: 07436 071333
We welcome your feedback to help us continuously improve if you have any comments please phone 01845 523767 or email firstname.lastname@example.org